Due to the way the New Year holiday falls this year, we will be adjusting our Development One Stop schedule for January.
Our Development One Stop dates for January will be 1/8/20 and 1/22/20. All submittal deadlines should be adjusted accordingly.
City of Franklin Development Team
The Department of Planning and Sustainability serves as a liaison between the public and City government. This department interacts with the Franklin Municipal Planning Commission, an appointed board of citizens, with providing information and advice to the Board of Mayor and Aldermen and other City officials to assist them in making decisions about growth and development of the City of Franklin. Stemming from this, the Planning Department provides the following specific services:
- Provide expertise and technical assistance to the Franklin Municipal Planning Commission, Board of Zoning Appeals, Sustainability Commission, Franklin Historic Zoning Commission, and various ad-hoc committees and taskforces. This technical assistance includes review and processing submittals to these public bodies.
- Provide expertise and technical assistance to the Board of Mayor and Aldermen.
Answer questions from the public related to existing or proposed development, natural resources, and historic resources.
- Administer performance agreements and sureties, and coordinates inspections, related to improvements associated with new development, such as streets, drainage, landscaping, water/wastewater, and sidewalks.
- Perform landscape inspections.
- Electronic Plan Submittal Site (IDT) Click below:
The Department of Building and Neighborhood Services
supports the safety and quality of life for the residents and visitors of the City of Franklin through the enforcement of building codes, property maintenance codes, the Municipal Code and Zoning Ordinance. This department has multiple responsibilities such as:
- Plan Reviews (residential and non-residential)
- Permits(building, plumbing, mechanical, electrical, sign, tree removal)
- Property Maintenance
- Community Block Grant Program Administration
- Adopted Codes
The Engineering Department plans for the future infrastructure needs of the City of Franklin and consists of three divisions. The divisions include Engineering, Traffic Operations and Stormwater. The department works with other City Departments, elected officials, and the public to ensure that our infrastructure is designed and installed properly and that it meets all Local, State and Federal standards and guidelines. Both City-funded and private infrastructure projects are managed and reviewed by the Engineering Department.
One of the largest operating divisions of the City, the Streets Department is responsible for proper maintenance of the City-Owned streets, sidewalks and alleys. The Department consists of four divisions:
Fleet Maintenance Division
Permits issued by the Street Department include:
- Street Cut Permit for excavation/road bore within street right-of-way. A street cut application must be completed, and a surety bond or certificate of insurance is required. Please call at least one day in advance to schedule an appointment to get a Street Cut Permit.
- Dumpster Permit for placement within street right-of-way. Ordinance 2004-62 provides details for dumpster placement on public property. A "Notice of Non-Compliance" will be issued for violation of Ordinance 2004-62.
Assistant City Administrator Vernon J. Gerth over Economic Development has made retaining and growing businesses and jobs locally a priority. Together with the State of Tennessee Department of Economic and Community Development and the Chamber of Commerce Office of Economic Development, existing and prospective business representatives can be assured they will receive prompt and personal attention.
Please contact Vernon if you or your business are:
• Encountering barriers with City, County, or State entities
• Anticipating to expand your facility
• Considering moving operations to or from Franklin
• Having difficulty finding qualified employees
To arrange a meeting or for more information, contact:
Vernon J. Gerth, ACA-Community & Economic Development
City of Franklin
109 Third Avenue South
Franklin, TN 37064
Direct Line (615) 550-6671