The City of Franklin has a limited number of plow trucks and road salt. We must prioritize how we distribute our salt; we make every attempt to benefit the widest numbers of motorists possible.
Currently, we salt the major arterials and some minor collector roads. We also salt hospital, fire hall, and police department accesses, as well as known hazardous areas such as steep hills and sharp curves. We will salt upon request if there is a genuine emergency situation.
We ask that wherever possible, citizens avoid on-street parking, especially during snow and ice weather events to minimize the risk of road salt coming into contact with your vehicle.
Fortunately, the vast majority of winter storm events experienced in Franklin are manageable within these limited resources thanks to our milder southern climate.
In accordance with Franklin Municipal Code Section 16-109, the occupants of property abutting on a sidewalk are required to remove all accumulated snow and ice from the abutting sidewalk.
Trash Collection: Sanitation and Environmental Services
If road conditions are unsafe for City of Franklin garbage trucks, your trash collection may be suspended by the Sanitation and Environmental Services Department until the trucks can safely move through the area. Any changes to the trash collection schedule can be found on our website (www.franklintn.gov/sanitation) or via social media (Facebook or Twitter).
Specific inquiries should be made to the Department at 615-794-1516 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Low-Temp/Cold Weather Tips
- Cold Weather Tips - Homeowners should take precautions to help protect their property from damage. Weatherproofing your home against the cold will help protect your indoor plumbing against the threat of breaks.
Important Phone Numbers/links
- Police Department (non-emergency): 615-794-2513
- Streets Department: 615-791-3254
- Sanitation and Environmental Services: 615-794-1516
- Water Management Department: 615-794-4554
- Franklin Special School District: 615-794-6624
- Williamson County Schools: 615-472-4000
- TDOT Smartway Cameras
- Winter Weather Driving Tips
Learn about our brine facility:
Watch our brine truck in action:
Winter weather can cause pothole problems on our streets. Check out our infrared truck and crew quickly fixing a pothole in this time-lapse video (~20 minutes in ~20 seconds) :