The City of Franklin owns and operates six (6) Historic Parks located throughout the city. Please make a point while visiting Franklin to enjoy our National Landmarks and learn of the city's history during the Battle of Franklin and the Civil War. Click here for a printable version of the Historic Parks brochure.
The Park at Harlinsdale Farm 239 Franklin Rd.
The Park at Harlinsdale Farm, on the National Register of Historic Places, was a battle site during the Army of Tennessee's retreat from Nashville. This land was the site of heavy fighting between the Confederate infantry and Federal cavalry. This property is also credited as the birthplace of the walking horse industry in Tennessee. Harlinsdale was a horse breeding farm and home of "Midnight Sun" who stood for 25 years. Harlinsdale is protected with a conservation easement held by the Land Trust for Tennessee. The park is open for passive pursuits including a dog park, soft trails for walking or running, a pond for catch and release fishing and event rentals. The park I open daily from dawn to dusk.
Fort Granger 105 Fort Granger Drive
Fort Granger is a National Landmark site that served as a Command Post during the Battle of Franklin for Major General John M. Schofield. The artillery at Fort Granger saw action twice in 1863 against Confederate Calvary. The Union earthworks remain. Fort Granger can be accessed from Pinkerton Park by taking the trail uphill or by driving to the parking area off Eddy Lane. Interpretive signage and walking trails are onsite. The park is open daily from dawn to dark.
Assault on the Cotton Gin 1259 Columbia Pike
This one (1) acre Historic Memorial Park is a monument to the Assault on the Cotton Gin during the Battle of Franklin. Carter's Cotton Gin stood across the street and has been referred to as the battles' epicenter. The City of Franklin reclaimed this property in 2005 and constructed this memorial park. The park is open daily from dawn to dark.
Collins' Farm 418 Lewisburg Pike
Williams C. Collins (1823-1895), the manager of Carton Plantation during the Civil War, and his wife, Lucy Allen Birch Collins (1824-1909) lived in the house, which still stands. This land was the northwestern parcel of Carnton Plantation with the Carter Estate across the tracks to the northwest. Collins' son-in-law, George W. Cuppett, supervised the re-interment of soldiers in McGavock Cemetery. In 1867, Collins purchased from John McGavock this 3 1/2 acre Lot No. 1 in the Plan of Carnton. Collin's Farm Park is protected with a conservation easement held by the Land Trust for Tennessee. Limited parking is available for viewing the property. The park is open daily from dawn to dark.
Eastern Flank Battle Park 1368 Eastern Flank Circle
Adjacent to Carnton Plantation, and formerly a part of the original McGavock farm, the Eastern Flank of the Battlefield saw intense fighting during the infamous and bloody Battle of Franklin. This park represents the largest battlefield reclamation in America. It was purchased through a partnership of the City, Franklin's Charge, Tennessee Land Conservation Fund, Civil War Preservation Trust, and the American Battlefield Protection Program. Eastern Flank is protected with a conservation easement held by the Land Trust for Tennessee. The park is open dialy from dawn to dark for walking.
Winstead Hill 4023 Columbia Pike
Winstead Hill Overlook is National Landmark that was Confederate Lieutenant General John Bell Hood's command post during the Battle of Franklin. This Hill presents a view of the Franklin Battlefield terrain. During the Battle, starting below Winstead Hill, there was the spectacle of 18 Confederate brigades marching in formation through the fields along Columbia Pike, with their battle flags waving and bands playing towards Schofield's US Army Corps. The park is open daily from dawn to dark.