Shauna Billingsley, City Attorney
The City of Franklin's Law Department strives to provide high-quality legal advice and representation to the City's elected officials and staff, City departments, and the City's boards and commissions. Our role is to interpret and apply relevant law with the primary goal of protecting the interests of the City.
Community Note - Conflict of Interest Statement: City of Franklin Law Department attorneys and personnel cannot give legal advice to individual citizens, citizen groups, businesses, or HOAs. In addition, our office cannot refer you to specific attorneys or endorse any attorney in private practice. If you need legal representation or legal advice, you may refer to the Legal Resources link for suggested resources to contact that may be able to assist you.
Legal Services provided by the Law Department to Franklin's City Government:
- Advise and provide counsel to City personnel and governing officials regarding relevant laws and polices
- Advise and provide representation to City administrators and department directors, including employee matters
- Certify bonds, capital outlay notes, and other financial and debt instruments
- Assist in collecting back taxes
- Approve as to form City contracts, deeds, ordinances, resolutions, and other documents to be signed in the name of or made by or with the City
- Represent the City and its employees in litigation as a plaintiff or defendant