Test your fire sprinklers once a year! For simple instructions and a printable log sheet that you can keep inside your sprinkler riser cabinet, CLICK HERE.
Are you fortunate enough to live in a home that is equipped with automatic fire sprinklers? If so, then congratulations! This means you and your family are protected from fires 24/7!
Fire sprinklers require little maintenance, but there are a few things you need to be aware of. Watch the videos on this page to learn more.
- Do a simple flow test once a year or have your sprinkler contractor do it for you.
- Occasionally do a visual inspection of the controls and sprinklers.
- Teach your children they are not toys and should not be played with.
- NEVER hang anything on the sprinklers, even temporarily.
- Do not paint the sprinklers. And if you hire painters, make sure they know not to paint them.
- Don’t block the sprinklers with furniture or fabrics. If the spray is blocked the sprinkler cannot put out a fire.
- Most important, DON’T WORRY. Sprinklers are not complicated.
5 POINTS TO REMEMBER
- The valve arrangement on your riser should be similar to the one pictured to the left.
- The shutoff valve for your sprinkler system is located below your sprinkler riser, as shown in the picture.The shut-off valve controls all of the water coming into your home.If the valve handle is in-line with the pipe, the valve is open.You need to periodically check to see if the valve is in the fully-opened position.
- The inspection test and drain for your system are located by the riser as shown.To test or drain your system, you will need to attach a garden house to the coupling as shown.
- It is very important to check your insulation from time to time. The insulation should be between the pipe and the unconditioned wall.
- If you decide to install a monitored security system, the fire department recommends that you have your alarm contractor monitor the flow switch as well.This way they can notify you if the system activates.
If you have any other questions, please call the Franklin Fire Department at 615-791-3270.