In July of 2005, the City started the design of the Franklin Road Project (Harpeth River Bridge to Harpeth Industrial Court) as part of Franklin’s Corridor & Connector Streets Economic Development Projects. After the 2008 economic downturn, this project was shelved for nearly 8 years. In 2016, the Board of Mayor and Aldermen funded this project within the FY2017-2026 Capital Investment Program project list. The design is now complete. As of 2018, the City entered into the easement acquisition phase.
The proposed Franklin Road improvements include the following:
- Roadway widening from a 2-lane roadway with shoulders to 3-lanes with curb and gutter
- Wide outside roadway travel lanes that accommodate bicycles
- New sidewalks along both sides of the roadway
- Street trees
- New decorative street lighting
- Traffic signal upgrades at both Old Liberty Pike and Liberty Pike
- Relocating all overhead utilities into underground duct banks
- Upgrading older and undersized water and sanitary sewer utility lines
- Installing a new stormwater sewer system with catch basins and yard inlets
- Other miscellaneous streetscape enhancements.
Length & Limits
Harpeth River Bridge to Harpeth Industrial Court/Hooper Lane