Payment Window open Mon-Friday 8am-Noon. City Hall Closed-Services continue online and on phone, call (615) 791-3217

For Covid-19 updates, visit

See Governor Lee's Executive Orders - Health Guidelines to Stop the Spread of COVID-19

US Army Corps of Engineers Harpeth River Feasibility Study – Home Raising Program

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

A Federal Program (City of Franklin Being the Local Project Sponsor) Raising/Lifting 35 Eligible Homes Above the FEMA Base Flood Elevation (100-Yr. Storm Event)

Project Description

US Army Corp of Engineers (USACE) Home Raising/Lifting Program helps protect eligible homes along the Harpeth River from flood damages. 

  • This program is sponsored by the City of Franklin and administered through the USACE, as part of a Project Partnership Agreement for design and construction of the project. 
  • This is a VOLUNTARY PROGRAM for the eligible 35 homes. 
  • Eligible homes are raised three (3.0) feet above the base flood elevation (100-Yr. Storm Event), following the City’s Zoning Ordinance requirements. 
  • The USACE individually justified the 35 homes based on the flood damages they are experiencing (amount & frequency) and the cost to protect (cost of raising). They surveyed each structure’s first floor elevation.
  • The preliminary cost estimate provided by the USACE is approximately $5,000,000 for all 35 properties.  The USACE agrees to pay for 65% of the actual construction and temporary relocation costs.  The City and homeowner would be responsible for the remaining 35% of required construction funding (17.5% City / 17.5% Homeowner).  
  • The home construction estimates include the cost of raising the home (by a certified home raiser), the construction of new foundation (cinder block or brick), the reconnection of utilities & duct work, and restoration of landscaping/grass, etc.  There is also the cost of temporary housing for up to 3 months.  The duration of the temp housing depends on the construction duration.
  • The homeowner hires the construction contractor, but the USACE will provide a list of pre-approved contractors and review the proposals.  The goal is to assist the homeowner to the fullest extent possible to achieve quality, sustainable flood protection.

Eligible Homes

Thirty-five (35) City of Franklin residents qualify for the program.

Project Contacts

William Banks
City of Franklin
Project Engineer
Direct: (615) 550-6677
Office: (615) 791-3218

Ramune Matuliauskaite
US Army Corps of Engineers
Planning Project Manager
Project Planning Branch
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Nashville District
110 9th Avenue South, Room A405
Nashville, Tennessee 37203
Office: (615) 736-7853

Project Documents

USACE Home Raising Maps - 35 Eligible Homes 07-18-2019

USACE-COF Public Meeting Presentation 07-18-2019

USACE Home Raisings FAQ for Public Meeting 07-18-2019

USACE Home Raising Interest Sheet