http://www.franklintn.gov/government/planning-and-sustainability/find-out-more/annexation-activityAnnexation is the process by which the city extends its municipal services, laws, taxing authority, and voting privileges to a new territory. Annexation encourages orderly growth and provides standardized service to all citizens. It also promotes fairness by requiring that those who use the services provided by a city share in the costs of operating the city.
The Planning Commission recommends either approval or disapproval of each of the three parts above to the Board of Mayor and Aldermen. The Board of Mayor and Aldermen (BOMA) will receive the Planning Commission recommendation and will hold three readings with a public hearing, usually at the second reading. The public can address BOMA during the public hearing.
- Annexation Information Brochure
- First Year Pocketbook Impact to Homeowner 2009
- 2009 Annexation and Sewer Fact Sheet
- 2006 Annexation Feasibility Study
There are three parts to an annexation:
- RESOLUTION TO ADOPT PLAN OF SERVICE (POS): The POS describes how the City will service the properties upon annexation into the city. Services include police protection, fire protection, refuse collection, streets and signage, traffic control, water and wastewater, building and code inspection services and recreation services. The POS takes the form of a resolution.
- ORDINANCE TO ANNEX: The annexation ordinance is a legal document that describes properties proposed for annexation. A map of the area accompanies it.
- ORDINANCE TO ZONE: Since the properties are located in the county with county zoning, the zoning ordinance assigns a city zoning district to the properties upon annexation.
To Be Entitled, “A Resolution And Ordinance To Annex Portions Of The Bushnell And Bates Properties, Consisting Of 9.75 Acres, Property Located South Of Goose Creek Bypass And East Of Lewisburg Pike,
And Adjoining The City Limits Within The Southern Part Of The Franklin Urban Growth Boundary (UGB).”
To Be Entitled: "A Resolution And Ordinance To Annex Part Of 4360 Long Lane, Parcel 180.01, Consisting Of 15.3 Acres, Located South Of Carothers Parkway And North Of Long Lane."