418 Lewisberg Pike
Franklin, TN 37064
Collins Farm is a 3 acre Historic Park near the Eastern Flank Battle Park and Carnton Plantation. The property has limited vehicle access and amenities. It is permissable to walk around the park to view the property.
William C. Collins (1823-1895), the manager of Carnton Plantation during the Civil War, and his wife, Lucy Allen Birch Collins (1824-1909) lived in the house, which still stands. This land was the northeastern parcel of Carnton Plantation with the Carter Estate across the tracks to the northwest. Following the Battle of Franklin, the house served as a field hospital and several soldiers were temporarily buried in the garden. Collins’ son-in-law, George W. Cuppet, supervised the re-interment of soldiers in McGavock Cemetery. In 1867, Collins purchased from John McGavock this 3 1/2 acre Lot No. 1 in the Plan of Carnton . In 1911 the property was bought by Thomas F. P. Henderson who, at the end of WWI was a member of the plot to kidnap the German Kaiser Wilhelm.
John M. Carlson, Ltd., St. Paul, MN
Save the Battlefield Inc.