Shauna Billingley, City Attorney
109 Third Ave. South, Suite
Franklin, TN 37064
The Law Department provides services to the City Aldermen, City Administrator, Department Heads and Boards and Commissions. The Law department cannot provide advice to the public.
Types of Legal Services
Legal Services provided by the Law Department include:
- Advising about City Employee matters
- Advising about new cases and statues and their application to City activities
- Certifying bonds, capital outlay notes and other financial and debt instruments
- Collecting back taxes
- Construction contracts
- Drafting Ordinances and resolutions for the Board of Mayor and Alderman
- Employee Handbook and other legal documents
- Inter-governmental agreements
- Obtaining land easements or rights of way for City purposes
- Preparing or reviewing bids
- Representing the City and its employees in litigation as a plaintiff or defendant
Citizens and property owners sometimes have questions about how various city regulations may affect them. Local laws, known as ordinances, are passed by the Board of Mayor and Aldermen and made a part of the Franklin Municipal Code. If you have questions involving matters such as traffic and parking regulations, keeping animals or firing weapons in the City of Franklin, the answer is most likely in the Municipal Code.
Open Records Request? Click here for a copy of the Open Records Request Form.
A list of Free Legal Help Clinics may be found here:
Tennessee Alliance for Legal Services has both phone and online resources:
- Phone: 1-844-HELP4TN (1-844-435-7486) - Talk to an experienced attorney for free legal advice and referrals
- Online: www.HELP4TN.org – Email legal questions, see court forms, watch videos about legal issues and more.
The Nashville Bar Association sponsors Dial-A-Lawyer on the first Tuesday of the month from 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm. Call 615-242-9272 and you will be placed in the queue; wait time and availability will vary depending on available attorneys and number of calls.
Legal Aid and Pro Bono of Nashville can be reached at 615-244-6610.