- Born and raised on a cotton farm in Hanford, California.
- Graduated from Hanford High School.
- Graduated from Fresno State College with a bachelor’s degree in Philosophy.
- Played drums, trumpet and French horn in Lakeside grammar school band.
- Played Bass guitar and keys in rock and rolls bands from junior high through high school and college, all the time writing and developing the songwriting craft.
- Moved to Bakersfield in 1971 to pursue country music.
- Lived there for the next eight years backing such artists as Merle Haggard, Kris Kristofferson and Jimmy Thomason as a piano player and singer.
- Played as the house piano player in the Palomino Riders at North Hollywood’s famous Palomino club backing such artists as Marty Robbins, Sammy Smith and Willie Nelson, until going on the road with Mickey Gilley and Johnny Lee as part of the Grammy award-winning Urban Cowboy Band.
- While living in Los Angeles helped score several movies and joined BMI.
- Moved to Nashville in 1984 to be a songwriter.
- Wrote songs mostly at night, worked painting houses and apartments in the daytime and playing in bands on the weekends.
- Joined Karen Conrad’s New Haven Music in 1987.
- New Haven sold to BMG in 1997.
- Married in 1991 to his beautiful wife Laura. They have three children, Savanna, Gracen and Beaux.
- BMI songwriter of the year 2006.
- Nominated in 1980 and 1982 for piano player of the year by Academy Of Country Music.
- Won Grammy with Urban Cowboy Band in 1981.
- Nominated for Grammy for “Just Fishin” in 2012.
- Has had 300+ cuts.
- Won 4 NSAI awards for “Songs I Wish I Had Written” voted on by peers:
- “It Matters To Me” recorded by Faith Hill
- “Georgia Rain” recorded be Trisha Yearwood
- “Find Out Who Your Friends Are” recorded by Tracy Lawrence
- “Just Fishin’” recorded by Trace Adkins
“’Til Love Comes Again: recorded by Reba McEntire 1989 (Regan/Hill)
“In A Different Light” recorded by Linda Davis 1991 (Yudkin/Hill)
“Runnin’ Behind” recorded by Tracy Lawrence 1992 (Sanders/Hill) *2 million air award
“Be My Baby Tonight” recorded by John Michael Montgomery 1994 (Fagan/Hill) *5 million air award
“The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter” recorded by Reba McEntire 1995 (Sanders/Williams/Hill) *2 million air award
“It Matters To Me” recorded by Faith Hill 1995 (Sanders/Hill) *3 million air award
“C-O-U-N-T-R-Y” recorded by Joe Diffie 1996 (Harbin/Drake/Hill)
“One, Two, I Love You” recorded by Clay Walker 1997 (Jones/Hill)
“What If I Do” recorded by Mindy McCready 1997 (Malloy/Sanders/Hill)
“Buckaroo” recorded by Lee Ann Womack 1998 (Sanders/Hill)
“Just Another Heartache” recorded by Chely Wright 1998 (Sanders/Hill)
“Ordinary People” recorded by Clay Walker 1998 (Wiseman/Hill)
“What Ever You Say” recorded by Martina McBride 1999 (Martin/Hill) *2 million air award
“She’s Always Right” recorded by Clay Walker 1999 (McDonald/Barnhart/Hill)
“There You Are” recorded by Martina McBride 2000 (Sanders/Depiero/Hill) *1 million air award
“One More Time” recorded by Kenny G/Chant’e Moore 2002 (Rochelle/Hill)
“Goes Good With Beer” recorded by John Michael Montgomery 2004 (Beathard/Hill)
“You Do Your Thing” recorded by Montgomery Gentry 2004 (Beathard/Hill)
“I Wish” recorded by Jo Dee Messina 2004 (James/Hill)
“How Far” recorded by Martina McBride 1994
“Songs About Me” recorded by Trace Adkins 2005 (Smith/Hill) *1 million air award
“Somebody’s Hero” recorded by Jamie O’Neal 2005 (Smith/O’Neal/Hill)
“Georgia Rain” recorded by Trisha Yearwood 2005 (Rochelle/Hill)
“Spoken Like A Man” recorded by Blain Larson 2007 (Kear/Frasier/Hill)
“Find Out Who Your Friends Are” recorded by Tracy Lawrence 2007 (Beathard/Hill) *2 million air award
“How ‘Bout Them Cowgirls” recorded by George Strait 2007 (Beathard/Hill) *1 million air award
“Hold On To Me” recorded by Rissi Palmer 2008 (Smith/Palmer/Hill)
“That’s A Man” recorded by Jack Ingram 2008 (Jones/Sanders/Hill)
“Just Fishin’” recorded by Trace Adkins 2011 (Criswell/Beathard/Hill) *1 million air award
“Drinking Class” recorded by Lee Brice 2015 (Kear/Frasier/Hill)