What is Stormwater Runoff?
Stormwater runoff is rain and snow that runs off solid surfaces such as parking lots, roads, and roofs and then empties into natural or man-made drainage easements. This untreated water flows to the rivers we use for canoeing, fishing, and other recreational activities. Sources of stormwater pollution include:
- Oil, grease, metals, and coolants from vehicles
- Fertilizers, pesticides, and other chemicals from gardens and homes
- Bacteria from pet wastes and failing septic systems
- Soil from construction sites and other bare ground
- Soaps from car or equipment washing
- Accidental spills, leaky storage containers, and whatever else ends up on the ground
You can do a lot to help minimize stormwater problems!
8 Great Things You Can Do
- Mulch Your Leaves
Leaves provide much needed nutrients to soil and prevent leaves from entering the storm drains.
- Keep Your Storm Drains Clean
Clean litter and debris from the streets.
- Care for Your Car
Watch your car for leaks. Wash your car over grass instead of pavement.
- Use Fertilizer Sparingly
Too many nutrients in water can cause algae to grow, which uses up the oxygen in the water and can harm aquatic life. Test your soil before applying fertilizer!
- Dispose of Hazardous Waste Properly
Visit BOPAE for more information about the free household hazardous waste disposal program through the City of Franklin.
- Scoop the Poop
Pick up after your pet and properly dispose of waste to reduce the pollutants in stormwater runoff.
- Prevent Erosion
Stabilize areas that have exposed soil by applying seed and straw or sod.
- Direct Your Downspout
Direct downspouts away from paved surfaces; consider a Rain Garden to capture runoff.
Check out these informational flyers.
For more information, contact the Engineering Department at (615) 791-3218.
Learn more about the pollution sources homeowners encounter.here. Tennessee's Guide to Traveling Our Watersheds
Clean Water Education Partnership-North Carolina
Sources from the EPA:
- After the Storm
- Stormwater Management Practices
- Sources and Solutions: Stormwater
- Kids Stormwater Stickers
- Make Your Home a Solution to Pollution
- Stormwater Place Mat
- Protecting Water Quality from Urban Runoff
Learn more about the pollution sources business owners encounter.
Please contact us if you or your group is interested in learning more about water pollution, rain gardens, stream cleanups, stream bank restoration or any other education or involvement opportunity.